Monday, October 10, 2005

Market

Yesterday I was asked to chauffeur my mum to the Old Town Wet Market. Every Sunday my dad would go with my mum but yesterday, my dad was busy with some work and I had to do the driving around. Anyway, its been a long time since I set foot in the market. Was just wondering if it was still as dirty and as disgusting as I remember it.
At the market, yup! Somethings never change. In fact I think it has gotten more dirtier and much more disgusting. I had breakfast with my mum in the market itself. After that, it was off to the fish section. Once at the fish section, the aunty asked in Hakka whether I wanted any fish. My mum yelled at her and said, "That's my sonlah" Aunty looked closer and said in Hakka again, "tis the one who abused my fishes?" Mum replied, "Yup, that's the one" Heh Heh. Aaaaaaaah... the good old juvenile days. You see, when I was a kid and followed mum to the market, I can never keep my fingers to myself. Everytime at the fish section, I would be poking the fishes, digging their eyes out, put my fingers into the mouth of the dead fishes, took the fishes from the table and play with them (imitating JAWS), playing with the crabs, the squids.. you name it, I will be poking and playing with it. Once I toppled a whole tray of ikan keli (catfish) and you can see the fishes squirm and swim all over the wet market floor causing quite a scene. LOL!!!!
Anyways, while waiting for mum, I saw on aunty's table, these two sharks. About 3 feet long each. Fascinated, I went closer and .. yes, I opened the mouth. Looked inside, Felt the teeth. Put my hands inside. Tried to pull out the teeth. Opened the gills. Poked the eyes. Checked out the fin. I even turned the shark upright to imagine how the fin looks like just above water level. LOL!!! That's when aunty saw me. "OI!!!!" I dropped the shark and smiled back. Mum shook her head. Aunty mumbled, "some things never change .." LOL!!!! I asked Aunty if I could have one of the shark's teeth but my mum shooed me away. Heh heh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My payroll pay card site is nice, but I like yours too! Come on over if you have some time.