Friday, September 09, 2005

Oink!

I went to have my lunch today with some of my buddies at this restaurant that serves penang hawker dishes but has a huge HALAL sign board on the outside.

After we have all sat down and the menu was given to us, we each ordered what we wanted to eat. The typical curry laksa, fried kuey teow, assam laksa etc

10 minutes later we were busy stuffing our mouths with food when this group of women just sat down at the table next to us and after the waiter gave them the menu, you can hear them mumbling and talking and laughing over what to order. All of a sudden, one of the chicks got angry. She said, “What is this?!!! I thought they say halal?!!!”

Then her friends looked at the menu and said, “Yah hor .. why like that?! So terrible” And with that, they went on complaining and became agitated and started waving wildly to the nearest waiter.

Curious on what’s happening especially with all the commotion, my buddies and I decided to be kepoh a bit and decided to keep a close watch on what was happening and at the same time, still digging into our assam laksa and kuey teow.

After a few more frantic waves, a waiter came.

Women: Excuse me? I thought this was a halal restaurant?

Waiter: Yes it is. Would you like to order now?

Women: Hello? Look at your menu!!! How can you say its halal?

We started looking at the menu. My buddies’ mouth were full of fried kuey teow and I was still busy slurping in the assam laksa noodles. Which dish got pork lah? We wondered …

Waiter: Huh? I’m sorry but I don’t understand …

Women: Look here! On the menu! It says “Pork Free”. Why are you giving out free pork and still say you are a halal restaurant!

Sadly, that statement evoked an eruption of uncontrollable and maniacal laughter from me and my buddies. A mouthful of fried kuey teow was spewed out onto one of my buddies’ shirt. Another guy choked on his curry laksa. Had curry laksa stains all over his shirt. I suffered the worse fate of all. Unable to control my laughter, I choked on my assam laksa noodle and had a small piece of the stupid noodle lodged in my nostril. All I can say is, it wasn’t a good experience. Could feel the spices of the assam laksa burn my nostril. Damn hai lat! Bet you guys that it even burnt my sinus off. Damn tibai. I had to blow my nose to dislodge the damn noodle and was still laughing at the same time. What a feat! And the damn noodle landed back into my assam laksa bowl. Damn!!!

The women looked at us in total disgust. Our behaviour was totally unacceptable. Hooligans! Crude. But kudos to the waiter. He coolly said, “Erm, Pork Free means the food here is free of pork” which could only provoke more laughter from us and looks of embarrassment for the women. They didn’t bother ordering their food anymore. Stood up and stepped out and stormed away. The waiter looked at us and howled in laughter after that. And for my suffering with the assam laksa noodle in my nose, I got a free bowl of ice kacang. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! too bad about the laksa.

The Grouch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

oh, our english standard drop liao until like this kar? aiyo ah ma..what der ma yah... use common sense lah !!!