Friday, January 14, 2005

Identity Crisis

I listen to wide variety of music. But I like rap music and rock music more. Hip hop. Liked them ever since I first heard Will Smith rapped when he was better known as Fresh Prince partnering with DJ Jazzy Jeff. I loved Def Leppard and GnR too. Couldn’t stop listening to them. From Will Smith, I was introduced to Tupac and there was no turning back since then.

At work, I listen to the R&B station or the Hip Hop station. And the rock station too. I have some CDs lying around in my room. My favorite right now is 50cents, Usher, Linkin Park, Nelly, Eminem etc etc. You get the picture.

The other day while I was listening to Nelly, G walked into my room.

Me: Oh, sorry. Too loud?

G: No. why you like all this kind of music?

Me: huh? Dunno? How to explain. I just like lah.

G: all this black music, very angry, very egoistic. So much attitude.

Me: wey … don’t insult ok… what black black all. You color blind ah? Eminem not black what.

G: ok ok but all this attitude. Ego.

Me: ceh! As if all those cocked up boy bands no ego lar. No attitude lah. Fark. Look at the way they pose in their music videos. Farking put a model to shame. Hell, they even put gay boys to shame.

G: but the point is, why do you like all this kind of music? I think you have identity crisis here. All this music the black people will like it more. But you are Chinese mah.

Me: What??!!! Hello???? Since I am Chinese, am I suppose to listen to Chinese music? What the hell is wrong with you?

G: That’s not what I meant.

Me: Then? You listen to English music also what?

G: No no no. I think that came out wrongly. Forget it.

Me: No no. Go on. Say what you mean.

G: Forget it.

Me: Since you brought it up, why you go color your hair? Chinese got black hair you know. Not some yellow gold fur like a golden retriever like that. Damn Ah Lian.

G walked out of my room. Hahahahahahaha

No comments: