Friday, December 31, 2004

A Reminder

Reading the papers and watching the news for the past 1 week has been heart wrenching. For those of you who don't feel anything ... what can I say? Looking at the pictures ... is enough. The destruction, the fear, the despair ... what a way to end 2004. Even a surfer dude friend of mine wasn't smiling about the waves anymore. I don't think the survivors of this tsunami can watch or listen to a flushing toilet for now. Would probably farking freak them out.
I have a little confession. A part of me wished that I was there when the tsunami comes crashing down. I am not being suicidal as my wish does not wish to be dead. But just to be there... and of course to survive and to help out. Crazy? Yeah ... maybe a little.
Once I went canoeing solo. It was on my way back from another island and still very far away from the mainland's shore when storm clouds gathered. It was a magnificent sight. I actually stopped paddling to watch the storm clouds gather and the lightning. It was until the water became very choppy and the waves got much bigger when I realised I was screwed. I started paddling like crazy towards shore. It was already very dark and I was getting shit scared. Was so farking worried I'd overturn. It was an experience but it served as a good reminder. I felt so farking small during that time. Just a tiny speck in that moment against everything else. There was nothing else I could do, except to just keep praying and paddling.
With the recent typhoon in Philippines and the tsunami that hit South Asia, I hope people do realise that with their arrogance, powers, richness, difference in economies, politics, religion and even with all their stupidity and ignorance, that there are more powerful forces at work here. Whether its God or Mother Nature, it serves as a reminder for all of us. Especially for Mother Nature. Stop farking around with the environment. All of us are really really small in this world as compared to them.
I am really, truly sorry for all the deaths and destruction. My condolence and sympathy. For those who are just reading and watching it, please count yourselves as blessed. Here's my wish for a happier 2005 for the everyone. Happy New Year.

No comments: