Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Another Con

Hey all .... been really busy. Normally I don't spam people with emails on what happened to their friends etc especially on stuff like being robbed, being conned, beware of women with big tits etc ... But this did happen to my buddy's uncle who called me for advice (and so happened I received this email on this scam). So instead of blogging, its copy-paste for me today ... here it goes ....
---------------------
Just want to share with all of you our experience on this matter.

We received at home the similar call as mentioned by xxxxxxxx (pls scroll down to his email below) on 17/5/07 at about 10.00am. We were very suspicious over this call because :

1) There is never in history or a practice that the High Court will ever call someone via phone to remind them on their court cases.

2) If it is the High Court, why the voice mail was recorded in "English" and not our national language, "B.M."?

3) When we press "9" to check with the operator, she did not sound like Malaysian and she also spoke in "English". When we refused to give our name and IC No., she was very unpleased and didn't want to cooperate. She just told us that they were the "Call Centre" acting for the High Court. We then asked for her supervisor, a guy (can't remember his name but believed is a Chinese but with foreign accent and we were quite sure that both of them were not Malaysian). On top of that, when we started to speak in BM with that guy, he got annoyed and said, "I am speaking English with you, so please speak in English!". We definitely did not think Malaysia High Court would engaged any foreigners to do this kind of "unusual task".

4) They refused to provide their contact no and address of their office and after we pushed for it, they gave a no. but it was different from their Caller ID shown on our phone. (We tried both nos. later but there was just a funny tone like no such no.).

5) Later, we went to lodge a Police report and was told that on that day, there were already 3 similar cases reported at Subang Jaya.

So, be very careful not to fall for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Subject Fw: URGENT !!! Beware of voice message from "Malaysian High Court"


Dear family members and friends

I am writing this e-mail to warn all of you. This is what happen to me on 18th may 2007 at 10.00am. The phone rang and i answer, a voice message stated that the call is from the Malaysian High Court mentioning that i have a case to attend at the KL High Court. Rather curious of what sort of case i have, so i press 9 to talk to the operator.

The operator speaks very 'slow english' if you know what i mean. She insist that i must give her my name and ic no. in order for her to check what sort of case i have. I hold on for a few seconds and she ask me if that is really my ic no. I confirmed and she also confirmed that i have a case to attend. She says that she will faxed the doucument over to Bukit Aman Police station and the officer will call me in 3 munites.

So i hung up, through enough i received the call less than 2 minutes. He announced himself as Yeoh Long Wah from Bukit Aman police station. He ask me a lot of questions and say the criminal have use my ic detail to open bank account in Maybank and Public Bank in Negeri Sembilan.

He then ask me whether i have a bank account in Maybank and Public Bank. I told him that i have a Public Bank a/c. He says that i have to answer his questions honestly so that he can help me with my case. The questions he ask like have you lost yr ic before, did you hand over yr ic to anybody for documentaion and how much money u have in yr a/c

I told him i cannot reveal the amount in my account and that i will meet him in Bukit Aman police station. He says fine and meet him before 4pm and gave me the phone no 03-77826222.

I rang my lawyer and ask for advise. She ask me to fix the appointment with the so call police on Sat or Monday since today is Friday and mosque day. I called the the no 77826222 and the police answer telling me that this is not Bukit Aman police station but police station in Old Klang Road. I told the police the problem and he told me to launch a police report in Subang Jaya police station because they have been receiving a lot of these calls from people.

I went to Public Bank to freeze all my a/c for the time being. I am sharing all these with you so that you will not go through the trauma i went through

From
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi people,

I have just got a call similar to the one you are talking about above. The person on the voicemail didn't sound like she could speak proper English and she was talking way too fast and unintelligibly to be used (well according to me) as a voicemail operator.

I was a bit suspicious of the call so I hanged up and looked it up online and found 2 or 3 blogs talking about this. I called the high court of malaysia (found the number on one of the sites) and they confirmed that this is actually a scam.

So I would suggest that if you haven't given any details on yourself to just hang up and forget about it, but if you did, save yourself and immediately make a police report.

Regards,
Someone trying to help