Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Eat Oso No Peace

The other night I was at the mamak stall having my favorite nasi lemak tambah ayam goreng tambah sambal tambah telur mata kerbau. This is one of my favorite mamak place. Has the most unhealthy ayam goreng ever! The mamak there is still the old style kind of mamak. Small little stall with all the tables and chairs set out on the road itself. Well, not in the middle of the road lah. You think what, siow meh? Put table and chairs in the middle of the road.
What I meant to say is that its on the road as compared to some mamak whom will set up the tables and chairs on the five foot way or the kerb or even on road dividers.
It was quite a slow night. Not many people. It was still early anyway. So most tables were still empty. After I had my fill of nasi lemak, I saw the next table ordered my favorite ... indomie. My tummy growled. Fark. After all that nasi lemak, still want some more. So I ordered. Boss, Indomie kasi double. Tambah mata kerbau!
My order came and I started to dig in. Then came this lorry. Drove up slowly next to all the tables and out jumped 2 guys. They just started taking all the empty tables and chairs and threw all of them into the back of the lorry. Nothing was said. Just jumped out of lorry and grabbed tables and chairs and threw them in. I looked at the mamak fellas. They didn't do anything. I figured ... nah, I don't think got people psycho enuf to be stealing tables and chairs. Must be the local authority.
True enough. It was the local authority. Confiscating the tables and chairs 'cause they were placed on the roads. Some customers got frightened and stood up. That also, they grabbed the tables with the food still on them and threw the tables into the lorry. The plates of food and cups of teh o ais limau were just strewn all over the road. Then the mamak fella started to tell everyone whom were seated down not to stand up. But I guess it was quite futile. Everyone was afraid. The way the guys were grabbing the tables and chairs were like hostile and aggressive. Then one of them came to my table. I was still holding a fork with indomie on it. He grabbed the table and stared at me. Nothing was said. I gave him this really blur and stupid look and still holding a fork with indomie on it. He hesitated. I continued with my dumb look. He then let go of the table and grabbed the other chairs around the table as they were empty, threw them into the lorry and left.
Lorry drove off and I could see the mamak fellas's sad and disappointed expression. Some customers left. Some helped to pick up the plates and cups on the floor. The mamak want to offer them food again but gotta eat standing lah.
Well ... its against the local authority's laws to place the tables and chairs on the road but still ... I never expect them to behave as if they were the anti terrorist strike force doing a snatch and grab operation.

No comments: