Monday, March 12, 2007

Marrying a Foreigner Part III

VISA! Yup ... the most exciting part of your marriage. When my wifey finally move over to Malaysia, we immediately went to the Immigration Dept. Well ... I've always gone to the Dept in Damansara to get my passport done, so with that in mind, we went to Damansara.
Now, I have to admit, we went there very late ... around 1030am. We thought ... we are just there to find out what should we do to get her to stay longer ... i.e. to get a visa. Went to the ground floor, made some enquiries and instead ... they just said, "oh... you need to open new file, please go to 4th floor, visa dept"
Up we go. 4th Floor. Visa Dept. Lined up behind a couple of fellas at the information counter on the 4th floor. The line didnt move. I went to take a peek. No one was at the counter. We waited. Finally ... after like 15 minutes, someone came out to handle the people lining up there. Our turn came. We asked again the same question. We got a reply ... "you need to take this number and wait at counter number xx" I paused and then asked quickly, but we just want to find out what to do, where to get forms etc. We were told, "just wait for your number to be called"
I looked at the piece of paper. There were about 30 people ahead of me. Ok ... let's wait. 1 hour. 2 hours. 3 hours. I tried to walk up the counter and take a peek but the guy sitting behind there looked so pissed and agitated, I dare not ask when will my turn be. I went back to sit down ... and 4 hours later, our turn came.
Walked up to the counter, we asked the guy there to advice us what to do. He asked for my identity card, took a look at it and guess what? Sir, your address in your I/C is in Puchong. Please go to Shah Alam. We don't process you here.
I was really really dumbfarked. 4 farking hours I waited ... just to be told I am at the wrong place. Nevermind, my fault then for being stoopid or not asking. I tried to ask for some general questions especially with regard to procedures and the forms that I will need. Instead, the guy just called for the next number and insisted that I just go to Shah Alam 'cos they might have different forms. Sighs .... 4 hours gone. Wasted. Just to find out ... wrong place.
Anyway, I got to talk to a few fellas whom married Filipinos as well. They told me, don't worry, all applications would be processed in a day. But they were definitely very shocked when I told them that I was asked to go to Shah Alam instead of Damansara. They just shrugged and told me, good luck. As far as they know ... this kind of thing is "normal" i.e. you get bumped around.
Anyway, couple of days later, I thought I was very smart. I told my wife, why not go with my dad to HQ in Putrajaya and find out the procedures and forms that we need to fill. Afterall, that's the HQ. And I have to work and can't be taking off all the time. But I was soooooooooooo wrong. They went to Putrajaya and was told that we have to go to Shah Alam because that's where they process Chinese nationals and Filipinos. Well ... at least that's what my dad thought they said. I think my dad could have mistaken something 'cos I was pretty sure some Filipinos were processed at Damansara. Oh well .. I thought, stoopid of me. But I honestly thought that the HQ would be capable of handling it... Sighs ... again....

No comments: