Friday, February 18, 2005

Apathy Kills

Recently, there was a headline in the newspaper that says, "APATHY KILLS!". A sad story on how uncaring Malaysians can be. A couple was knocked down and no one stopped to help send the pregnant wife to the hospital even though the injured husband tried frantically to wave someone down. Eventually someone stopped but it was too late. The wife and the unborn twins did not make it.
I wonder what the Malaysians are thinking when they saw a woman lying beside the road and a husband trying to wave them down? That it was a trick and once they stopped, they would be robbed? Or ... if the woman dies in their car or they carry a dead body in their car ... then they will be "suey" for the rest of their lifes? Better still, the ghost of the woman and her unborn twins will haunt their car for eternity?
But what I want to blog here is that there are some "posers" out there. I was at the mamak that morning when I noticed a group of well dressed up men and women sitted next to my table. Office attires. Ties. Executive like. One of them was reading the papers with the headline, "APATHY KILLS!". I was happily eating my roti canai when one of these pundeks said out aloud, "Who the hell is this APAHTI fella huh? He kill again ah? How come no one catch him yet? Who did he kill last time?"
I almost choked on my roti canai. Could even feel the curry ikan coming out through my nose.

No comments: